Monday, September 13, 2010

Hey it's September 13!

Guess what? It's a special day today! Well apparently, birthday ngayon ng isa sa pinakamahalagang tao na nabuhay sa panahon natin. I grew up with this guy. I'm pretty sure you did as well. Today, September 13, 2010, Mario turns 25.


Hey happy birthday! Cheers!
Ohh nostalgic? Suddenly missed him? The game? Well let me share some things with you...

Ever played Mario when you were a kid? I did. I grew up with him. Well Mario, Tetris, Top Gun, F1 Racer, Pong, Donkey Kong, that Magic Johnson game and Galaga.

They all looked like this. Remember?
Well Mario really was the mascot that defined videogames in general. Everyone knows him. And I mean everyone. Even my mom knows him. Heck I know you do. It's as universal as "Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B, A, B, Select, Start". Everyone knows it. Everyone can recite it.

If you don't, then you're not allowed in the internet. Sorry.

Anyway, Here are some facts about Mario na pwedeng hindi nyo alam. (Note: these are stuff that I know lang, and yung iba I found across the internets. sooo... just sharing)
Did you know that:

-Mario first appeared as a villain to another Nintendo Character?

He's the one before you reach the cage.
That's Donkey Kong Jr. over there trying to rescue Donkey Kong Sr. from the cages of the very little, yet very evil, then unknown, Jumpman (Mario's first name). This was released like in 1981, but Super Mario Bros., the game you were more addicted to back then, was released on Sep. 13, 1985 so that's the one that counts I guess.

-Did you know that there was an actual Mario Live Action Movie?
WTF right?
Anyway, I remember watching this movie, alam ko napanood ko to nung bata ako. Together with those live-action Ninja Turtles. Di ko na lang maalala kung nag-enjoy ba ko nung nanunuod ako (siguro I did), pero all evidences and images from the movie says that it has at least 20 levels of WTFs in there. Seriously, I did a Google Image Search and this came up.

again... WTF.
Well anyway, guess what! Mario was really famous that even our local movie industry made something fairly similar, and I think, in some ways, is more awesome than that movie up there. It was called "Magic Kombat" and starred Smokey Manaloto and Eric Fructuoso. It's true! I'm telling you it is!


-Did you know that the plants and the clouds in Super Mario Bros. were the same?
Only with different colors!

Shocking?
Yeah, I mean who observes such things eh? Who goes on playing Mario and begins to wonder: "Man those plants and clouds sure look like each other."

-Well if that kinda shocked you, THEN YOU'VE GOT TO LEARN THIS. It has been a tradition that whenever you get to save the Princess, it turns to be a frog, a mushroom, a fly, some weird shit or Toad. You know, that Mushroom kinda thing? Well guess what he's been doing all this time...

,,l,,
Yup. When you were a kid, you were constantly given the finger by a videogame character. I don't know if that's some weird metaphor as to how the game kinda fucks with you and Mario together habang umaasa ka na si Princess Peach na yung narescue mo. Or something. I don't know.

-Then there was that part where you get the chance to have a hundred lives. Well there's that turtle in one stage (World? 3? I forgot) where you have to consistently step on it and you get like unlimited lives.

Di ka naniniwala? Well here's a video to show you how it's done:



That move right there takes some serious skills. And timing. And luck. I've tried that pero if I remember correctly, I can't really do that properly. Yata.

Well those are some of the Mario related content that I have here. There are lots and lots more. Maybe I'd post them some other time. For now, let's all give cheers to Mario's 25th birthday and how he helped define the gaming world.

I still have a copy of this. Together with the SNES in my room. =)

Here's a relaxing video where an orchestra plays some of your favorite Mario tunes. Enjoy! (I really love the underwater music). And again, happy birthday! (to Luigi as well)

No comments:

Post a Comment